Monday, January 06, 2014

New Year

Subtitled: And a Snow Day

I might do a monthly wrap up of the past year later but at the moment, I don't want to.  2013 had some HUGE (like "OMG T-Rex GINORMOUS!") ups and downs and I'm finally finding my footing emotionally this last week and I don't necessarily want to revisit last year yet.  Denial, not just a river in Africa…  Also?  Run-on sentences, the way I live my life.

Anyway things are looking up.  Even with a foot of snow on the ground (because that would be looking down…), but more on that in a minute.  I'm loving my new job so much that I'm almost to the Irish "I'm related to the Murphy's,  what's going to go wrong now?" looking over my shoulder.  I have a savings account.  I have a retirement plan.  I have renters, health, and life insurance.  These all are a big weight off my shoulders.  I don't want to get all political (in social class sort of way) but now that I've tasted a bit of "being poor" for the last few years, I can see why moderately wealthy to rich people don't understand the stresses of the poor.  The stupid little shit that the rich don't even think about in their daily lives are gigantic problems for those without money.  And it's so insanely stressful, it's not funny.  I will never take any of this for granted ever again.

Back to the snow, the kids were already scheduled to be off school today so the fact that there are 12 inches of snow on the ground and a windchill of -30F doesn't really matter to them.  But all this craziness means that Homeland Security (not particularly a fan but whatever) has placed travel advisories on us and the state of Indiana is pretty much just closed.  At least central to northern Indiana is.  Which for me just means my "non essential" clinic is closed and I "have" to stay home.  Darn…  *shrugs*  Even though I love my job (see above), I don't really want to go out in this mess.

Happy New Year, Happy Snow Day, and keep warm.

Quote of the Day: "A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water." -Carl Reiner


2 comments:

  1. Loving the quote!! Did you get your auto insurance switched? (insert raised eyebrow here) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that involve a phone call? Then no.... LOL

      Delete