Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"Do Nothing" Day

All I have scheduled today is a Girl Scout Leader meeting this evening.  No work, the house is pretty clean, I don't have any errands to run, kids are at G's...

I have a few writing ideas bouncing around in my head, something along the lines of 'things I've learned' or 'stuff I still need to work on' or 'where the hell do I go from here'.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who analyzes and over thinks life.  I see so many people just going about their day as if they don't have a constant inner monologue questioning and wondering and pondering everything. But on the flip side, I've made some spectacular life changing decisions without even really thinking about them at all. Then as I deal with the fall out from those 'no thought actions' (moments, months, years later), I look back and ask "what the fuck was I thinking?"  And the answer, I'm sad to say more often than not, is I wasn't thinking.  One of my biggest lessons I've learned over the years is 'not making decision is still making a decision.'  I try to avoid making that particular mistake nowadays.  But no worries, there are a lot more mistakes that I continue to make over and over again (see 'my shoe string budget').

So of all the ideas and possibilities bouncing around in my head (which I'm sure I'll share with you eventually), I want to start writing again.  I've been reading a lot of varied books lately, mostly because I'm broke and just borrow and download whatever is available from the local library onto my Kindle.  It's kinda like blindly grabbing a couple of books off the shelf except I can do it at 2am without leaving my sofa.  And no late fees when I forget to return them.*

Two books that I recently blindly grabbed and then really enjoyed reading are The Best American Travel Writing 2011 and Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert (you probably know her from Eat, Pray, Love)

And now I've been inspired to write again.

NaNoWriMo is coming up in November so that's definitely on the To Do List now. Until then, I'm going to work on getting my ducks in a row (job, shoe string budget, life goals, you know the little stuff...) and start making time to write again.

Although honest to God, even after all the tears and frustrating lonely nights, I'd still rather have a certain sexy older man with a Boston accent distracting me from writing.

Quote of the Day: "Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be." ~Thomas à Kempis

* I lovingly blame my mom for this.  She always returned my library books for me since she was the town librarian.  'Returning library books' has therefore never been part of my 'borrowing library books' experience.  I currently owe my local library $8.41


No comments:

Post a Comment