Friday, September 06, 2013

5 years

It's been a rough week.

Hell, it's been a rough few months.

My birthday is coming up at the end of this month and while I'm not turning a fantastic milestone age like 40 or 50 (I'll be 36), I realized I had hit another milestone a couple of months ago. I didn't have much time to think about it then because I was in the middle of prepping for the NCLEX and trying to find a job (and paying bills and dealing with kids on summer vacation and writing run-on sentences...)

I've lived here in Indiana again for 5 years.


Granted I've moved twice since the original move to this city but 5 years. A lot has happened in 5 years (in no particular order):
  • Got divorced
  • Applied, was accepted, and went to 4 years of nursing school
  • Passed the NCLEX and became a registered nurse
  • Learned to tango
  • Shot a handgun (at a target, not a person. Although I've been tempted)
  • Learned to ride a motorcycle and earned the motorcycle endorsement on my license
  • Ran a 5K
  • Painted 2 paintings
  • Took a hot air balloon ride
  • Worked 6 different jobs (Katie Fleck Designs, Flower Shop #2, Student Nurse, Nanny Gig, Sewing Gig, Substitute School Nurse)
  • Traveled to Hong Kong and Beijing
  • Went on a cruise to the Caribbean
  • Learned to ice skate
  • Had the gas and electric turned off (bills... I suck at paying them)
  • Adopted my cat and readopted her when she ended up at the Humane Society
  • Sewn curtains (inside joke, for years I've said I've sewn everything under the sun but 'never curtains')
  • Had kidney stones
  • Traveled inside the US to Chapel Hill NC, Outer Banks NC, Put-In-Bay OH, Chicago IL, Louisville KY, Colorado Springs CO, Savannah GA, Orlando FL (Disney World), Philadelphia PA, Cherry Hill NJ, Venice FL
As well as:
  • knit a bunch of stuff
  • sewn a bunch of stuff
  • read a bunch of books
  • been to several music concerts
  • been camping a few times
  • eaten a lot of yummy food
  • and hung out with the very best people on the planet (my family and friends)
It may seem silly but writing out this list helps. I've been stuck in a "can't do anything" mood because of the lack of a RN job and the money that comes with that. And since the break-up with S, I've been very "and I'm not going to be doing that now" *sad face* too.

I've been a bucket of joy to be around honestly...

I'm going to try better to keep a positive attitude. The job will come. I'll likely fall in love again eventually. I won't be living on a shoe string budget forever. The gas won't be shut off because I don't even have gas at my current home. *shrugs* It's the little things sometimes.

The one big thing I'm looking forward to:

I'm going to be an aunt.

And that's more than enough to be super duper excited about right now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS a lot of stuff in the past 5 years - more than I've done for sure! I had good days and bad days while waiting to get pregnant and there's nothing to do but fight through them. I like to think our family (other than maybe Mom, lol!) is a pretty optimistic bunch and can get through anything. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being an aunt! And on doing all of those things in the past 5 years. You have lots more time to add some cool things to your bucket list, including a full-time nursing job. Good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete