Friday, August 16, 2013

While the kids are away, the mom... cooks?

Occasionally I miss my 'stay at home mom' days. I didn't have work or the kids today and the cupboards (and fridge and freezer) have been kinda bare for awhile. My favorite grocery store was having a sale on a lot of basics so I figured, what the hell, I'll put together a big ass grocery list and do some freezer meal cooking. (I like this book as a good jumping off point for newbies: The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet, A Month of Meals Made Easy)

I made it through the 10lbs of ground beef: 4 individually cooked one pound portions for chili, tacos, baked ziti, and taco soup and 2 meals of sloppy joes and 2 meals of meatloaf.

I'm halfway done with the chicken. I trimmed up and froze half the package and then cooked the other half for making 2 chicken pot pies and 2 meals of chicken tetrazzini. I'll probably put those together on Sunday.

Tomorrow I plan to cut up the pork loins to make several pork chops to freeze for later and then put the rest in the crockpot for pulled pork.

The store had a bunch of frozen veggies 10 for $10 so we should be good on side items for awhile too.

Oh and I put together a pasta salad for a cook-out that I'm invited to tomorrow night.

So of course for dinner, I ate 3 chocolate chip cookies and called it good.


No comments:

Post a Comment